Sunday, July 8, 2018

Full Metal Alchemist Live-Action Review



Heya! Elle here ~ It's been a while now! 

Actually I have been in semi-hiatus mode in these 3 months due to incoming school requirements that I need to work on. However after my last post, May 30, 2018, I got really busy to the point I can't open my PC to update my files and my blog. I was on hiatus in my Johnny's WEST fandom as well (OMFG I am missing my Kotaki). Anyway, I AM FINALLY A JOURNALIST STUDENT!! And since I already finished everything, finally I got time to go back and flail again. To be honest, my list for all of my to-do reviews became long since I am watching anime during breaks. But it's good to be back on track. Now I need to lessen my queue. Here it is, Full Metal Alchemist Live-Action Review from Netflix! 

ADDED ON NOVEMBER 12, 2018

I will be editing this blog since I finished the whole FMA anime series and re-watched this movie. There will be changes in my comments about this live action film. This blog was originally posted on July 8, 2018.






Title: Full Metal Alchemist 
Genre: Adventure, Dark Fantasy, Science Fiction
Written By: Hiromu Arakawa
Synopsis: The Elric brothers, Edward and Alphonse were living perfectly with their mother in a peaceful town of Resembool. They are both smart children and they excel in alchemy like their father. However, their mother died due to an illness outbreak and they were left alone. They know an alchemy in which they can resurrect a dead called "Human Transmutation" which is a taboo. Alchemy requires an equal value of exchange or called "The Law of Equivalent Exchange" to perform the transformation. In Human Transmutation, they need to give the most equal amount to resurrect a dead. They took the risk to perform this dangerous alchemy. As a result, Alphonse's body and Edward's limb were taken as an exchange and unfortunately the Human Transmutation is a big failure. Luckily, Edward was able to take Alphonse's soul back and placed it in an empty armor. In exchange of that, Edward's arm was taken. In order to take back Alphonse' body, they are searching for the Philosopher's Stone.



 
(The Elric Brothers are having a fight)



Thoughts

I am such a failure watching and making a review for this while I haven't finished the whole anime series. I am talking about the "Fullmetal Alchemist (FMA)" in 2003 and the FMA: Brotherhood in 2006 (I guess?) With this I rewrite this whole blog to straighten my comments about this film. 

When this live action movie was announced, seriously a lot gave a negative comments about giving this anime a live action. Up until now, FMA is one of the most popular anime due to it's story. It lifted my feelings about this when it was announced that Yamada Ryosuke is the one who will be having the role of Edward Elric. Being bias aside (since Yamada is from Johnnys), Yamada is one of the best actors in Japan not to mention he is a popular idol/singer/model from a well-known talent agency named "Johnny's Entertainment". From that moment I knew that this live action will be safe. The movie was produced by Warner Bros. which is also a good thing. 

From my original review of this film, I mentioned that this movie didn't follow the real story of the anime but then I realized that I was wrong. |It was actually following the plot of FMAB. That time when I published the original version of this blog, I only finished FMA but now I am almost finished with FMAB.

This is really a good movie, aside from the movie was based on the anime (since I haven't read the manga, I am just comparing this movie from the anime adaptation). Maybe there are some changes but those are just minor changes. As expected, Yamada greatly portrayed Edward. I really commend him for being the best guy suited for our protagonist. Not only Yamada, the whole cast portrayed their roles perfectly. LOL I am not being bias, I am really telling the truth. Well, just one thing about Winry. Winry is not that soft-hearted. She is kind but not that kind. I am sure that you will understand me until you watch this movie.


 
(Edward facing the "Gate of Truth")



Cinematography: 10/10

Yes. They had good CG in the first fight scenes of the film however I am noticing the changes of the quality of the CG as the movie continues. Well it was a great one however if the staff will do a great CG in the first part of the movie, I hope that they putted that same effort up until the last scene. But it is still a good one. I liked how Alphonse's armor was made and also the chimeras in the film. (Oops I don't want to post the photo of Nina's chimera cause it is really a MAJOR SPOILER)

I am also thinking if the "Gate of Truth" was also a CG. Personally I believe that it was a real thing made for this movie. I want to commend that for making a big detailed Gate of Truth for this. It makes me wanna buy it and place it in my room (though my room is small ;-;)

Soundtrack: 10/10

Overall: 10/10

Last time I told that I can't recommend this movie but this time I RECOMMEND THIS EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE ANIME ADAPTATION. You will like it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment